There were a couple of different things we wanted to do in PA and NJ while we were down there. So, we stayed in Reading, PA because it was centrally located. Jax did great in the car on the way down. Grandma and Grandpa kept him busy in the backseat with toys and food and foolishness. He didn't really nap, but was good-natured and didn't get crabby until the last half an hour or so. I can't blame him though because by then I was ready to get out of the car too! I don't mean to brag, okay, I do... ;) but Jason and I are totally spoiled by this kid!
After checking into the hotel, we wet out to dinner. I don't know if you've ever heard of Shady Maple Smorgasbord in East Earl, PA but if you are ever in the area, you need to check it out!! It is AWESOME!
The biggest buffet I've ever seen in my entire life. It's 200 feet long and also has four different grill stations with steak, chicken, pork, seafood...yum! So delicious! It also has mega desserts and any type of drink you could think of (sorry, no alcohol though). It was uh-mazing! And afterwards you can go downstairs and walk your meal off in their 40,000-square-foot gift shop. You would really need a whole day to walk through there. I found Jax a sock monkey, a mini flag for my flower bed (no more St. Patrick's Day flag, lol) and a cute bib for him to wear at his birthday party.
On Friday, we fit in something for Jason...a tour of the Harley Davidson plant in York, PA. We had wanted to do it when we went to Gettysburg a couple of years ago but didn't have time. I've toured production facilities in the past for my college Production and Operations Management class, but this was the best facility I've seen. It was a free tour but for those only 14 and older so my Mom stayed out in the lobby with Jax. From what I heard, he had a great time people-watching with Grandma.
The tour lasted about 45 minutes and started with a video about HD and the plant in York. We then got safety glasses and earbuds so we could hear the tour guide talking while we were out on the floor. We went through the whole process from parts to finished bike ready to ship. They make the touring bikes and trikes at this facility. It was really interesting to see all of the technology and robotics that are used. Jason decided that his favorite job there would be the guy that gets to take two random bikes out a day, drive them around and then inspect them. I'm sure he'd get sick of it eventually, right? ;) We had to visit the store while we were there. I think it's a crime to go into a Harley store and not buy something so we each got a shirt and Jax got his first HD Tool Kit. He really likes the hammer and wrench.
Dad picked out an Irish Pub for lunch and away we went. I'm really thinking that we need to get a GPS of our own because those things are life-savers. No more mapquesting, map reading, guessing, asking for directions at a gas station....I know, I know...get out of the stone ages, they've been around for a while. Anyhoo, we ate at Coakley's Irish Pub in New Cumberland, PA. Another great meal and I recommend that place as well.
Saturday was Jackson's first trip to the zoo. We spent a few hours at the Philadelphia Zoo before heading to the NJ. I think Jason and I may have enjoyed it a little more than Jax but it was a good time. We bought a membership to the Seneca Park Zoo and I can't wait to go there more this summer.
![]() |
| Lions.... |
![]() |
| and Tigers.... |
![]() |
| and Bears, oh my! |
We started heading home on Sunday, but not without stopping at Classic Harley Davidson in Reading. It's a tradition to find a Harley store near where we stay and get a souvenir, which is usually a t-shirt or shot glass.
We also stopped at Cabella's. That place is HUGE, like 250,000 sq. ft. huge! It's like Dicks, Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shop all combined into one giant store. Not only does it have shopping, but there is an aquarium, lots of displays of animals, video games, a restaurant and a little pond stocked with fish. We probably needed a whole day to walk through that place too.
Jax did pretty good on the ride home too. Towards the end he had had enough of the car but other than that, good times! He was excited to see Duke when we got home and even got a visit from Grandma and Boppy Smith.
Specials thanks to the Elwells and Mixners for their hospitality, Jason for driving the whole weekend, my parents for going along with us (and the "Godfather" for paying for dinner), Jason's Dad for taking care of Duke for us while we were gone and Jason's Mom for making us dinner when we got home.
We had a lot of fun and I can't wait for our next vacation. Suggestions on where to go, anyone?
















Post a Comment