Actually, I googled "jokes about ophthalmologist and neurosurgeons" and surprisingly there are some out there. Not hilarious, but humorous none-the-less.
A worried patient tells an ophthalmologist (eye doctor):
"Doc, I am very scared about the outcome of the operation on my left eye. What are my chances?"
Grinning doctor to the patient: "Hey don't worry, you won't be able to see the difference."
(Read more: Seeing the Difference http://www.medindia.net/jokes/viewjokes.asp?hid=236#ixzz1gRe79tlN)
"Doc, I am very scared about the outcome of the operation on my left eye. What are my chances?"
Grinning doctor to the patient: "Hey don't worry, you won't be able to see the difference."
(Read more: Seeing the Difference http://www.medindia.net/jokes/viewjokes.asp?hid=236#ixzz1gRe79tlN)
Or, there's this one:
"I was going to sue my neurosurgeon, but then he changed my mind."
I know, not LOL-worthy but they all can't be winners. I would've tried to make one up myself, but I'm neither creative or funny enough to accomplish an effective punch-line.
So, the real reason I brought up a ophthalmologist and a neurosurgeon.....Jackson saw them both last month and I never really gave an update on how the appointments went.
One of Jax's physical therapists was concerned that his delayed development may be caused by hearing and/or vision problems. First up to check was his vision. I personally didn't think that there was an issue with either his hearing or his vision. He was starting to track a whole lot better than he had been, he's just a little behind the norm. He's had to recover from two surgeries and get the levels of fluid in his brain "normalized". I would think that may have played a part in the delay. Also, his therapists had been coming around nap time. When he's tired, he doesn't want to do anything. However, I'm all for "it doesn't hurt to make sure", so off to Ocusight Eye Care Center we went.
Our appointment was with Dr. Markowitz, a pediatric ophthalmologist. He checked out Jax's eyes and dilated them. I know I've said it before, and I'm not tooting my own horn (okay, I am...toot, toot!) but Jax is the best baby. He's a real trooper and will put up with pretty much any procedure/test. As long as he's fed and had his nap, he's ready to go and will let you know just about anything. According to Dr. Markowitz, everything looks good. There are no issues with his eyesight at this time. He has no damage to the nerves in his eyes (which was a possibility due to his hydrocephalus). He did notice astigmatism in both eyes but nothing that would effect his sight at this time. We go back in 6 months for a follow-up or sooner if we notice any unusual changes in relation to his eyes (cross-eyes, twitching, etc.).
Our second appointment of the day was with Jax's neurosurgeon, Dr. Silberstein. This was a routine follow-up related to his shunt surgery. So far he hasn't had any issues with his shunt and is showing no signs of a shunt failure. This was one of the fastest appointments we've ever had. The doc came in, said "Everything looks good. See you in a year!". That's right people, we don't have to go back for a whole year! Yay! Well, unless he develops any of the symptoms for a shunt failure (unexplained tiredness, fussiness, headaches, fevers, etc). So, we'll still be keeping an eye on him but it's so great to know that he is doing so well. I told the doc that I liked seeing him but I'm glad we don't have to come back until next November :)
BTW, check out this commercial for the URMC Neurology Department. Dr. Silberstein is at the 16-second mark.
We are still trying to set something up to get his hearing checked but I'm not too worried about it. Jax goes in for his 6-month check-up on Friday.


Post a Comment