As previously mentioned, for our 5th anniversary my gift to Jason was a series of pre-planned dates for the next year. Because the "passport dates" are on-going I can't really divulge the details yet. He's been known to get bored and actually read my blog, so I don't want to spoil the surprise of dates to come.
However, the other date each month I can totally tell you about (after they happen of course).
October's date I've playfully titled "Whip It". A while I ago I got a Groupon notice for the Roc City Roller Derby. I thought that would be totally cool to go to, but wasn't sure if Jason would like it or not. I brought it up and he was into it, but when I went back to purchase the tickets, the deal was over. Boo! That's okay though because regular ticket prices are pretty reasonable.
I never brought it up again because my intention is that these dates are going to be surprises at least as far as what we would be doing. But I at least had to tell Jason not to have any plans on Oct 13th or else he'd been gone doing something here or out hunting there. But telling him to keep that date open prompted intense, irritating interrogation until I relented and made him guess what we were doing. It was quite comical to hear his guesses because he was guessing stuff that I never thought he'd want to do - various sporting events, plays, comedy clubs, concerts, circus!? It def. gave me some future ideas!
He finally guessed roller derby. I let him pick the seats and he chose the suicide seats - front row on the floor. It ended up being really fun to sit there at least once, but if we ever go again I think we'd have a better view from the bleachers. If you ever get a chance to go see this, you should. It's a pretty laid-back, fun time. Not too over-crowded. Fairly cheap tickets, refreshments are reasonably-priced. The bouts were pretty intense. Right-up-to-the-last-minute, final-heat intense. After the last bout we even jumped up and participated in the winners lap.
As per our usual tradition, we left with souvenirs. I got a new t-shirt and Jason got a new hat.
![]() |
| Our swag |
I think if I hadn't procrastinated so much (as I usually do), I would've done something creative to better explain the rules ahead of time as for the most part we were pretty confused as to how they were earning points. I had also found a roller derby cookbook that I was going to use to make something for breakfast that day, but I never ended up doing that either.
We did, however, go to the rollers and revellers website and used their name generator to come up with our roller derby names:
Jason - Thorn Skeletor
Mine - FreeBird (okay, I totally kept hitting it until that one came up. Pretty appropriate don't you think?)
It was really neat to see all of the names that the skaters, refs and officials had too. How do people come up with them!?
Overall, it was a really fun date night. WROC actually just did a story on the RCRD this week. You can check it out here. The RCRD's next bout is tomorrow night. I highly suggest if out and about in Henrietta to go check it out. Tomorrow's bout is benefiting Harbor House. Harbor House is like the Ronald McDonald House but for the families of adult patients. They provide temporary lodging to the families of adult critical care patients who live outside the Rochester area and are getting treated at URMC. All of the RCRD's bouts benefit one or more of the many women's, family or children's charities in the area. How awesome is that?!
I can't wait until this month's date night. No hints this time though. ;)
Catch ya later!



Post a Comment