• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple

Welcome! Welcome!

So, what’s my blog about? A little bit of this, a little bit of that, tons about Jackson and a sprinkle of Spina Bifida awareness. Why? Because that’s our life and we want to share it with you. Hope you enjoy!

Most Popular Post!

  • He's Here!!!
    So, on Monday Jackson was super active, like rolling, flipping, kicking all day.  It was the weirdest thing.  He had never been that active....

Some Days You'll Never Forget: Jackson's First Set of Wheels

Jackson got to try out some equipment last Thursday.  Linda from Fonte brought out a wheelchair and stander for him to try.  She also brought the stroller but we didn't even bother with it.  He has enough core strength and head control that he doesn't really need that.  She forgot the bath chair but we saw a picture of it.  That should really help with safety in the bathtub and allow him to be a little more independent while getting his splash on. 

But enough of me talking.  You all want to see videos, don't you? ;)

This is Jackson's very first moment in the wheelchair:


He is a natural!  It was so amazing to see how he seemed to know exactly what to do with little instruction.  I'll admit it.  I cried.  I'm a crier now.  It just happens.  To see how well he was doing, how much he liked it and what it means for him going forward was a little overwhelming and the tears-o-joy just started a-flowin.  Luckily I was able to get it under control so that no one had to witness the full-on "Robin Cry".  Trust me, you don't want to see it.

I know, enough talking already get back to the videos!

Here's Jackson's first time in the stander:


Linda said that in the 31 years that she's been doing this Jackson was not only one of the youngest that she's fit equipment for but also one of the quickest to pick up on how to use them.  Way to go Jackson!

Later that afternoon he got into the stander again and was going all over the place.  Check out this video:


The wheelchair belonged to someone so we couldn't take that home with us but the stander we have for at least the next week.  We meet again next Friday to discuss how he liked the stander and finalize what equipment we'd like to get Jackson.  Personally, I want it all!  Each piece is good for him in different ways.  But, insurance and Early Intervention may not feel the same way.

So, we've been documenting how he does in the stander and will continue to do so for the next week.  Things like when he's in it, for how long, what he does, how he likes it, etc.  We've got videos and pictures and a little journal.  His therapists will be writing letters of justification and hopefully that will be enough to get our insurance to cover a portion of it and for Early Intervention to pick up the rest.  However, we've been told that it's more difficult in Yates County to get funding from EI and we'll probably have to put up a fight to get it.  Which honestly I think is a load of {expletive}.  From what Linda was telling us it's so much easier to get these types of things approved in Monroe County as opposed to other surrounding counties.  Which doesn't make sense to me, but such is life.  I guess this will be a good test as to whether or not our current Service Coordinator is as committed and as good at her job as she claims to be. 

We won't stop fighting until Jackson gets this.  He deserves it!

But let's not end this post on a sour note.  Let's look at some more pics of Jax in action, shall we?

"Hey, whatcha doin back there?"

"Are you done yet?  I wanna get moving!"
The "pit crew" strapping him into the stander
Watches make a great distraction tool
"Finally!  I can get movin'! "
"I'm coming to see you Grandpa!"
Rockin' Roller
Daddy and Shelley (PT) helping him out of the stander

Read More 3 Comments | Posted By Robin edit post

3 Comments

  1. Unknown on December 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM

    way to go Jax. Robin and Jason you'll be on the run now

     
  2. Gramma Janie on December 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

    OMGOSH! Robin, we have tears in our eyes too watching these videos. Boy, do I love this little guy.

     
  3. Holli on December 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

    I remember those days, so exciting. The road is wide open for him now, just watch out for your toes :)

     


Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Another Smith Family Blog


I started this blog as a way to keep family and friends, near and far, up-to-speed on what was going on with Jackson. Jackson was born with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus. When he was born, he had to have surgery to close the lesion on his back and then had a follow-up a month later for his shunt placement. My goal was to make sure everyone got an updateon how things were going and what better way to mass-update then the good ole interweb ;) And since everyone isn't on FB (WHAT!?!), I figured that a blog would be the next best thing.


Since then, the blog has morphed into a plethora of stuff ranging from date nights, favorite recipes (okay, haven't posted any recipes yet, but they are in the works), our dog, our house, my awesome hubby, projects from Pinterest that I actually complete, SB awareness and what's going on in Jackson's world. I'll be honest, it's 73% about Jackson and raising a child with SB, at least according to my last calculation. Oh, and pictures. Lots of pictures.


Looking for an Older Post?

  • ► 2015 (4)
    • ► September (2)
    • ► March (2)
  • ► 2014 (8)
    • ► August (1)
    • ► June (1)
    • ► May (2)
    • ► March (3)
    • ► January (1)
  • ► 2013 (49)
    • ► November (1)
    • ► October (5)
    • ► September (4)
    • ► August (4)
    • ► July (11)
    • ► June (7)
    • ► April (2)
    • ► March (4)
    • ► February (1)
    • ► January (10)
  • ▼ 2012 (28)
    • ▼ December (1)
      • Some Days You'll Never Forget: Jackson's First Set...
    • ► November (4)
    • ► October (5)
    • ► September (4)
    • ► August (1)
    • ► July (1)
    • ► June (2)
    • ► May (3)
    • ► April (2)
    • ► March (1)
    • ► February (1)
    • ► January (3)
  • ► 2011 (28)
    • ► December (7)
    • ► November (1)
    • ► October (14)
    • ► August (1)
    • ► July (2)
    • ► May (3)

About Me

My photo
Robin
Gorham, New York, United States
I’m a notorious procrastinator, a Martha Stewart wanna-be (minus the orange jump suit), and I have a high attention to detail, although some people might just consider me a control freak, perfectionist pain-in-the-arse! Oh yeah, and I’m a tad sarcastic. I've been married to my best friend for 5 years and we have one amazing little toddler, Jax. Our other "baby" is a 4 year old Great Dane who thinks he's a lap-dog. All in all, I love my life!
View my complete profile

Followers

Another Smith Family Blog

Powered by Blogger.
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright Another Smith Family Blog. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top