Foodie Friday is back! Did you miss it?
To be honest, we've been so busy lately that I haven't taken the time to venture over to Pinterest and actually choose a new recipe to try out. And I didn't think anyone would really be interested in a recipe on how to make Kraft Macaroni and Cheese or a post on how to grill a hot dog or hamburger. :-P
But, alas, fall is here and so is my inkling to bake and be merry! One year for Christmas, my Mom made each of my sisters and I a recipe box filled with all of our family recipes. I think most, if not all, are baked goods. What can I say? We are a family of bakers. I have yet to perfect my Grandma's pie crust (my sister is the expert!) but I think I'm going to work on that this fall/winter. I'm sure Jason and Jackson would be okay with that.
I bought a bunch of apples and never did anything with them and happened to glance over at that recipe box from my Mom and realized my Grandma has an excellent recipe for a chopped apple cake. And that's what I made last weekend. We've been enjoying it all week!
| My Mom hand wrote three copies of each of these recipes! |
Here's the full recipe:
Grandma King's Chopped Apple Cake
Ingredients:
(cake)
- 1 Cup Oil
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3 Cups Peeled, Cored, Chopped Apples
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tsp. Vanilla
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp. Chopped Walnuts
(topping)
- I Cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 3 Tbsp. Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together apples, sugar and oil.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Combine apple mixture and dry ingredients and add walnuts.
- Pour into buttered cake pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- For topping: Combine ingredients in a sauce pan and cook on stove top until thick. Pour over cake when removed from oven.
You should try it, I know you'll like it!
Enjoy and Happy Fall!




Post a Comment