• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple

Welcome! Welcome!

So, what’s my blog about? A little bit of this, a little bit of that, tons about Jackson and a sprinkle of Spina Bifida awareness. Why? Because that’s our life and we want to share it with you. Hope you enjoy!

Most Popular Post!

  • He's Here!!!
    So, on Monday Jackson was super active, like rolling, flipping, kicking all day.  It was the weirdest thing.  He had never been that active....

Big Bad CT


Our final stop in one of our day-long excursions to Rochester last month was Strong Hospital for a head CT for Jackson.  At the urging of Jackson's Ortho (Dr. Sanders), we met with his Neuro (Dr. Silberstein) to discuss the possibility that Jackson's increasing scoliosis may be caused by a shunt malfunction.  Although not common, increasing scoliosis can be a sign of shunt malfunction so that's why Dr. Sanders wanted us to be seen by Dr. Silberstein just to be sure that wasn't the case.  I'm not exactly sure how the two are related and I've tried to research a little to figure it out but haven't found a suitable explanation.  So, I'll take their word for it that they could be related.  Better safe than sorry.  That's my motto.

Dr. Silberstein didn't feel that Jackson was experiencing any shunt complications as he was not showing any of the other more common symptoms, such as:
  • Unusual irritability
  • Vomiting
  • Crossed eyes
  • Unexplained sleepiness
  • Headaches
  • Seizures
  • Loss in previous abilities (sensory or motor function)
However, it's been a while since he's gotten any radiology done in regards to the shunt.  Dr. Silberstein thought it would be a good idea to get a baseline of how his ventricles are doing now.  We could also see if there did happen to be any issues with the shunt that may be causing fluid build-up. 

As a reminder, Jackson has Hydrocephalus.  Hydrocephalus is a build up of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in the ventricles of the brain.  Jackson had a ventriculo-peritoneal (VP) shunt placed when he was a month old to help drain this excessive fluid from his brain down into his abdomen.  Jackson's shunt now controls the amount of fluid that is drained.  It will automatically drain when the fluid pressure gets too high in his brain.  It also is set up to keep too much fluid from draining as that would not be good either.  If there is a malfunction with the shunt, then his ventricles will enlarge as they are not able to drain the CSF properly.  Therefore, getting a baseline measurement of his ventricles now will help diagnose a shunt issue in the future as we will be able to more easily see if there is a fluid build-up. 

When Jackson was an infant he would get ultrasounds to monitor his Hydrocephalus, but since his fontanelle is closed now an ultrasound won't work.  Enter the Computed Tomography (CT) Scan.  Or torture device as I'm sure Jackson refers to it. 
Here's what the evil, horrible weapon of mass hysteria looks like.
Jackson's CT scan was supposed to be ordered as a sedated scan.  I emphasized when I was scheduling it with Dr. Silberstein's secretary that I knew Jackson would not lay still for the scan and would most likely freak out, hence the need for sedation.  I didn't really want to sedate my child, but I thought that not only it would be a better experience for him, but it would also yield a better set of images for the doc.  I've been with him during an x-ray, so I knew the CT would go no better. 

Well, guess what?  They didn't order it as a sedated scan.  Great, just great.  I thought it might actually work out okay though because Jackson was asleep when we got there.  Maybe he'll just stay asleep.  He had had a long day already and was out cold.  I'll pop him out of his stroller, onto the bench, get the scan and transfer him back to the stroller.  He'll stay asleep, right?  Easy peasy, right?  WRONG!!!!!!!

They were able to get him right in for the scan but as soon as I picked him up out of the stroller, he woke up.  But, they wanted to continue with it anyways.  In hindsight, I should've been more forceful in requesting them to reschedule and order the scan as a sedated one.  Never again will I put him (or myself) through that.  He screamed and cried the whole time.  My mother could hear him all the way down the hall in the waiting room.  They had a Child Life Specialist in the room as well who was trying to help calm him down, but he wanted no part in the beanie baby and song she was singing him.  He wanted up and outta that thing.  As his head placement was pretty secure, they decided to do the scan.  I stayed with him the whole time trying to console and keep him calm.  They said they were able to get the images they needed and we got the h-e-double-hockey-ticks out of there!  He calmed down relatively easy after we were out of the radiology department.

We haven't heard anything back from Dr. Silbersteing about the scan, but no news is good news.

Hopefully, he won't be needing one of those again any time soon!
Read More 0 Comments | Posted By Robin edit post

0 Comments



Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Another Smith Family Blog


I started this blog as a way to keep family and friends, near and far, up-to-speed on what was going on with Jackson. Jackson was born with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus. When he was born, he had to have surgery to close the lesion on his back and then had a follow-up a month later for his shunt placement. My goal was to make sure everyone got an updateon how things were going and what better way to mass-update then the good ole interweb ;) And since everyone isn't on FB (WHAT!?!), I figured that a blog would be the next best thing.


Since then, the blog has morphed into a plethora of stuff ranging from date nights, favorite recipes (okay, haven't posted any recipes yet, but they are in the works), our dog, our house, my awesome hubby, projects from Pinterest that I actually complete, SB awareness and what's going on in Jackson's world. I'll be honest, it's 73% about Jackson and raising a child with SB, at least according to my last calculation. Oh, and pictures. Lots of pictures.


Looking for an Older Post?

  • ► 2015 (4)
    • ► September (2)
    • ► March (2)
  • ► 2014 (8)
    • ► August (1)
    • ► June (1)
    • ► May (2)
    • ► March (3)
    • ► January (1)
  • ▼ 2013 (49)
    • ► November (1)
    • ► October (5)
    • ► September (4)
    • ► August (4)
    • ► July (11)
    • ▼ June (7)
      • Happy Mother's Day....in June
      • Happy Anniversary Jackson!
      • First Day of School and Speech Therapy
      • Another Day at Kirch
      • Big Bad CT
      • Equipment Adjustments Needed!
      • TLSO - The Good, the Bad and the Sweaty!
    • ► April (2)
    • ► March (4)
    • ► February (1)
    • ► January (10)
  • ► 2012 (28)
    • ► December (1)
    • ► November (4)
    • ► October (5)
    • ► September (4)
    • ► August (1)
    • ► July (1)
    • ► June (2)
    • ► May (3)
    • ► April (2)
    • ► March (1)
    • ► February (1)
    • ► January (3)
  • ► 2011 (28)
    • ► December (7)
    • ► November (1)
    • ► October (14)
    • ► August (1)
    • ► July (2)
    • ► May (3)

About Me

My photo
Robin
Gorham, New York, United States
I’m a notorious procrastinator, a Martha Stewart wanna-be (minus the orange jump suit), and I have a high attention to detail, although some people might just consider me a control freak, perfectionist pain-in-the-arse! Oh yeah, and I’m a tad sarcastic. I've been married to my best friend for 5 years and we have one amazing little toddler, Jax. Our other "baby" is a 4 year old Great Dane who thinks he's a lap-dog. All in all, I love my life!
View my complete profile

Followers

Another Smith Family Blog

Powered by Blogger.
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright Another Smith Family Blog. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top