• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple

Welcome! Welcome!

So, what’s my blog about? A little bit of this, a little bit of that, tons about Jackson and a sprinkle of Spina Bifida awareness. Why? Because that’s our life and we want to share it with you. Hope you enjoy!

Most Popular Post!

  • He's Here!!!
    So, on Monday Jackson was super active, like rolling, flipping, kicking all day.  It was the weirdest thing.  He had never been that active....

I'm Baaacckkk!!



For a while there I thought I was doing pretty well.  Blogging every couple of weeks.  I mean, c'mon that's excellent for me.  And then BAM!  Radio silence.  I haven't posted anything here since last August.

WTHeck is up with that? 

Sure, we're busy.  But that was never an excuse before.  I always managed to make time to type out a few blurbs here and there.  Why could I not motivate myself to post anything? 

Well, I think I finally figured it out.  I feel like my posts have primarily focused on Jax and what he can't do.  It may not seem that way when you read them, but it's there.  Intertwined with the progress reports from therapists and recaps of doctors visits are tiny slivers of he can't do this or he may never do that.  My sarcasm may have masked it, or maybe it didn't.  Maybe you could tell.  But it was there.

It didn't really hit me that I spend far too much time focusing on what he can't do until I took the Lay Advocacy classes last summer through The Advocacy Center.  I had heard of people first language prior to these classes but it was something that we covered at length one day and it struck a chord. 

Had I been spending too much time focusing on Jax's disability instead of on Jax himself when I blogged?  I think it's possible that I did.  And I feel a little guilty about it.  I want Jax to look back and read posts about how he spent his night last night trying to impersonate Steve Harvey on Family Feud.  Or, how he loves to count money and is obsessed with watches.  Sure, I also want him to read about he was followed by a few great specialists and worked with some amazing therapists that have helped him to become the great kiddo that he is today.  Because after all, having spina bifida is a part of Jax.  But, it's not all there is about Jax.  I think there is a fine line between spreading awareness about a disability and spending too much time focusing on it.

So, I think that's one of the reasons why I took some "time off" from the blog.  To reflect on what I why I had started the blog and what I really want it to become. 

That, and I'm lazy.  When I have the option of going to sleep or writing a blog post, I choose my bed.  Every. time. 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm going to post about the doctor's visits, progress reports and what not.  Because let's face it.  I didn't fill out the baby book (yet) and my memory is shot.  This is the only place (besides Facebook) where I can look back and recall what happened on this day when.  But, I want to spend more time just chronicling what we're all up to.  My little online diary.  I just happen to give you all permission to read along.  ;)

So, heads up.  More posts are on the way.  I swear.  Like a sailor, I swear.

Happy Friday Everyone!!

Check out this awesome shot from our Christmas Photo Shoot.  Thanks Amanda Lee from Ten Feet Photo for the amazing pics.
Read More 0 Comments | Posted By Robin edit post

0 Comments



Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Another Smith Family Blog


I started this blog as a way to keep family and friends, near and far, up-to-speed on what was going on with Jackson. Jackson was born with Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus. When he was born, he had to have surgery to close the lesion on his back and then had a follow-up a month later for his shunt placement. My goal was to make sure everyone got an updateon how things were going and what better way to mass-update then the good ole interweb ;) And since everyone isn't on FB (WHAT!?!), I figured that a blog would be the next best thing.


Since then, the blog has morphed into a plethora of stuff ranging from date nights, favorite recipes (okay, haven't posted any recipes yet, but they are in the works), our dog, our house, my awesome hubby, projects from Pinterest that I actually complete, SB awareness and what's going on in Jackson's world. I'll be honest, it's 73% about Jackson and raising a child with SB, at least according to my last calculation. Oh, and pictures. Lots of pictures.


Looking for an Older Post?

  • ▼ 2015 (4)
    • ► September (2)
    • ▼ March (2)
      • Working Hard or Hardly Working
      • I'm Baaacckkk!!
  • ► 2014 (8)
    • ► August (1)
    • ► June (1)
    • ► May (2)
    • ► March (3)
    • ► January (1)
  • ► 2013 (49)
    • ► November (1)
    • ► October (5)
    • ► September (4)
    • ► August (4)
    • ► July (11)
    • ► June (7)
    • ► April (2)
    • ► March (4)
    • ► February (1)
    • ► January (10)
  • ► 2012 (28)
    • ► December (1)
    • ► November (4)
    • ► October (5)
    • ► September (4)
    • ► August (1)
    • ► July (1)
    • ► June (2)
    • ► May (3)
    • ► April (2)
    • ► March (1)
    • ► February (1)
    • ► January (3)
  • ► 2011 (28)
    • ► December (7)
    • ► November (1)
    • ► October (14)
    • ► August (1)
    • ► July (2)
    • ► May (3)

About Me

My photo
Robin
Gorham, New York, United States
I’m a notorious procrastinator, a Martha Stewart wanna-be (minus the orange jump suit), and I have a high attention to detail, although some people might just consider me a control freak, perfectionist pain-in-the-arse! Oh yeah, and I’m a tad sarcastic. I've been married to my best friend for 5 years and we have one amazing little toddler, Jax. Our other "baby" is a 4 year old Great Dane who thinks he's a lap-dog. All in all, I love my life!
View my complete profile

Followers

Another Smith Family Blog

Powered by Blogger.
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright Another Smith Family Blog. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top