![]() |
| Jackson at the Genesee Country Village and Museum's Halloween Fest - It was too rainy that day for the pirate ship, but the Lil' Buccaneer still had fun watching his cousins play. |
In the months leading up to Halloween there had been several posts in the various Spina Bifida Facebook groups that I am a member of with ideas for wheelchair costumes. Which got me thinking....Jax was in a stroller the whole time last year and this year was going to be no different. So, why not try to incorporate the stroller into the costume. And in comes Google!
A quick search produced several results, but ultimately we decided on a pirate ship. We used The French Tulip's blog for inspiration. A little cardboard, duct tape and some accessories and voila! Okay, it took a while and there were four of us working on it (Jason and I on the ship, my parents on the treasure chest and a combined mast effort) but I think it turned out pretty good. I found the pirate costume at The Christmas Tree Shop for $10 - score!!! Also, a special thanks to my co-worker Alyssa for letting me borrow some of her Mom's pirate accessories.
Jax had several Halloween functions to attend and each time the ship was a little different. Adjustments and modifications were made, things were added (cannons!!!). It held up pretty well and we're going to put it in his room and use it for stuffed animal storage.
Here are some pics from the various festivities:
![]() |
| Version #1 at the Wegmans Harvest Party |
![]() |
| Version #2 at my work's Halloween party (new mast) |
![]() |
| The loot Jackson scored from my work. That is the BEST place to go trick-or-treating. An entire cubicle farm full of candy (and good candy at that)! |
![]() |
| The cupcakes I made for work. Just wanted to throw them in there for all to see. :) |
![]() |
| Final version (cannons added) |
I can't speak for everyone else, but I think we all had fun working on this. I can't wait for next year. I already have some ideas floating around in my head. It's never to early to start planning, right? ;)
Special thanks again to The French Tulip for the inspiration and directions!









Post a Comment